Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Star Wars Fails to Realize Dimensionalization



I attended the Thursday night midnight screening of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D and I was greeted with the usual costume fare (there was a slave Prince Leia, Jedi with light sabers, and a Storm Trooper).  However, the theatre was nowhere near full to capacity as one would expect for a premiere.  When the weekend gross was in, what I witnessed was reflected in the overall gross of Star Wars’ opening weekend as the film came in fourth with a, “Weekend [of] $23M.”1  A very sad display for what used to be a huge cash cow but not only does this reflect George Lucas’ neglect of his fan base but the fact was that I may as well have been watching a 2D film as there was hardly any depth added to the film.

Mind, I am in no way commenting on the quality of the storytelling as we all know what problems are inherent to this film; I am only commenting on the quality of the 3D.

I left the theatre asking myself, “Why even bother dimensionalizing the film?”  All of the depth was either at the neutral parallax or so shallow in the positive parallax that when I lifted my 3D glasses I could’ve basically watched the film without the glasses.  The vanishing points were crushed into a flat 2D background and there was only minimal dimensionalization of the foreground objects in the positive parallax.  Overall, I felt that the 3D was left severely wanting.  I’m not sure if Lucas was trying to play it safe since the films were originally shot in 2D and he was trying to minimize the stereo window violations or for some other logic that escapes me but in the end I left the theatre dissatisfied with my 3D viewing experience.

Well, those are my thoughts for the week…if you take my advice I would save my money for some other 3D film other than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D because you could easily get the same experience at home with your Blu Ray or DVD.

Cheers-

Russell McGee

1 N. Finke, RECORD-BREAKING WEEKEND! 4 Films Open $20+M: ‘The Vow’ $41M, ‘Safe House’ $39M; ‘Journey 2′ $27M, ‘Star Wars 3D’ $23M, WWW Document, http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

No comments:

Post a Comment