Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Three Dimensional Transparency





This is the first post of a string of blog articles which will discuss 3D technology, more specifically of the media variety (although 3D printers are the coolest new thing. I'll include a link with more info at the end). If there are particular stereoscopic interests that as a reader you would like more information on, bring it to my attention and I'll see what I can find. I'll do my best to post a variety of 3D interest areas, but there might be some slight favoritism towards 3D for marketing/advertising purposes as well as towards new technology which incorporates 3D content (as is the case with today's article).

I recently stumbled upon an article about a new 3D television which was presented at the 2013 CES, or consumer electronic show. The 3D television offers a transparent display. Viewers can essentially see through the television when off or when on and displaying 3D content. I wondered how this would effect how audiences viewed the content. This technology seemed like a novelty to me at first, but then I thought about heads up displays and how that can involve 3D technology. If you aren't aware, heads up displays allow viewers to see data on transparent glass. The technology is currently being incorporated into paned glass, car/airplane windshields and windows.




These new ways of presenting digital 3D images, in an augmented reality setting, expands the possibilities for 3D content. It begs the question: Will we start seeing 3D content, in narrative form, interact with real world dimension?

3D Transparant TV: http://www.gizmag.com/hisense-transparent-3d-tv/25712/pictures#4

3D Heads Up Display: http://www.gizmag.com/tre3dnavsystem/20278/picture/145690/

3D Printer (Check it out!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aghzpO_UZE

No comments:

Post a Comment