Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

3D Truck Stop Ads!

Hey All!

Apologies on the late post, I've had a crazy week already and it's only Tuesday! This week I wanted to share an article I found on a new 3D ad campaign and a bit of technology I which I don't fully understand but I'm hoping Chris can clarify tomorrow.

I'm studying digital marketing and new media techniques as a part of my graduate program and recently have noticed 3D being utilized more and more into advertisements and marketing campaigns. The key to advertising is engagement and 3D media is so engaging that advertisers have been searching for better ways to integrate 3D technology in to ads for years. The problem is 3D's Achilles heel, the glasses. It's just not realistic to think that one day everyone will carry around a pair of glasses for the purpose of looking at billboards. Recently however, developments allowing for glasses free, 3D viewing, have seemed to change the game. I've brought up some of this technology in previous blog posts and while exciting, it's still years away from widespread development. This week, I stumbled upon an article which discusses Warner Bros. involvement with Travel Plaza TV network in marketing their upcoming 3D movies with 3D trailers. The network (which broadcasts in travel stops such as Flying J and Pilot, nationwide) has developed a way to show the trailers in 3D, glasses free! They designed a way to include an extra layer within the screen which they describe as essentially putting the glasses on the TV. The article uses a picture diagram to demonstrate this effect, but I'm still quite unsure exactly how it works. Either way, the development is exciting and the ads will be launching in the beginning of March. So, the next time you're on a roadie and make a stop, be on the look out for some 3D advertisements!
The full article can be read here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/news/back-to-the-future-style-3d-advertising-without-glasses-warner-bros-is-on-board-51519/

2 comments:

  1. 3D printing advertising has gained a lot of attention over the past 18 months as advancements in technology, coupled with reductions in costs, has seen its adoption increase across a number of sectors. It will also see itself creep into advertising as more and more agencies & brands see the potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject. bedliner

    ReplyDelete