Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Some thoughts on NAB and our 3D program

So I just got back from NAB and the impressions and thoughts are a swirling stereoscopic maelstrom in my noggin.  It doesn't help that I stepped through my door at 2:00 in the A.M.  So, a quick summary here, then I'll get to writing a more detailed reflection on my own blog.

First up, there was a lot more stereoscopic 3D than I had expected to see.  This is a very good thing.  There was also not nearly as much 4K gear and workflows to see, this is not as good.  There were many companies strutting their stuff inside and outside.  The usual suspects were all on hand: 3ality Digital, 21st Century 3D, Binocle, 3D @Home Consortium, and more.  There were also several of the smaller outfits walking around that I got a chance to meet.

I was able to take the 3d Masterclass offered by Buzz Hays from the Sony 3D Technology Center and 3ality Digital first thing as I arrived at NAB.  The class was incredible and I was able to chat briefly with Buzz about the 3D class at IU.

I was so excited to meet Celine Tricart at the Binocle booth and talk about her works.  I show her 3D short movie Reminiscence in the 3D class when possible.  She was great to talk with and excited to hear about our 3D class.

I was hoping to also run into Bernard Mendiburu, but our paths never quite crossed at the show.  I was able to leave him a note thanking him for writing a wonderful book for us to teach with.

I was able to chat at length with two gents from 21st Century 3D, Stephen and Allen, about their rigs and shooting stereo on sets and location.  They were glad to hear that IU has the 3D class and thought that we had a good foundation moving forward.

There is a lot more to talk about, but I need a rest. :)

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment